Three main features of the concept:
- Programs/Instructions and data are stored in the main memory.
- Programs/Instructions are fetched and then executed in sequence.
- A program/instructions can be replaced by loading another program/instructions into main memory.
Types of architecture:
- Von Nuemann
- Stores instructions and data in main memory and uses the same data and address bus to fetch each.
- Uses separate data stores for instructions and data and uses separate data and address buses to connect the two to the processor.
- Micro controller (Embedded Computer)
- A micro controller is a chip that includes the processor, memory and IO. A common example is an MP3 player.